Monday, August 10, 2009

Class Evaluation

There were many new challenges for me during this course blogs, facebook and online communities. These all had varying degrees of uncomfortableness for me. I haven't done any of these things before. Just getting going on the blog was broaching on unknown territory but joining facebook was the most uncomfortable task of all. I haven't even signed back in since I signed up.

I think that having to write a blog was good for me and now I'm much more comfortable with it and could find myself being much more creative. As far as facebook, I really have no interest but I found the whole experience a good introduction since it's a very big part of what people do in our society.

I found both books to be interesting but the Postman book was my favorite. I found the last chapter both inspiring and thought provoking. I think the assignments as a whole were just about right as far as workload.

My favorite part was reading the books my least favorite part was writing blogs. I found myself more interested and intrigued by your questions pertaining to the reading. It was hard for me to get the idea that the blogs carried more weight as far as points. I sometimes found it difficult to connect the blogs to the reading.

One thing that was frustrating was that when we logged into blogs it was impossible to find out if a particular person had written a blog without going to each individual link. I like to get my work done early so it was time consuming to find someone who had actually answered before the last minute. People were seemed respectful and thoughtful when responding to one another which was nice.

Overall, this class gave me a good overall view of some issues that need to be addressed by society and myself as an individual. It also reiterated some of the attitudes and beliefs I already held but maybe wouldn't have known how to articulate.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe now isn't the best timing, but if you keep blogging, you may wish to try this. At the beginning of the term I went through each thread on blackboard under "Blog" and added the links to my "Follow" list. For instance, you'll see my picture under your "Followers." It took about 10 minutes, which was annoying at the time, but my "Dashboard" gave me a list of recently updated blogs from that bigger list.

    Onto your first subject. I can hardly imagine not using Facebook anymore! I don't know if I should congratulate you or sell you on the benefits of being in touch.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that reading Postman interested me the most as well. I thought he was very insightful and kepy my attention, very thought provoking is exactly right! I think everyone was respectful towards everyone's ideas and I really enjoyed what other people thought even if they happened to disagree with my own opinion. This was a great experience that has taught me a lot about technology and myself as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have learned so much about myself and how technology has affected my life. I also enjoyed Neil Postmans book as I thought it was extremely thought provoking. While at first it seemed like it was only going to focus on the negative aspects of technology, it made clear his intention was for us just to not lose sight of the bigger picture. Technology is not the end all be all. But it is fun, dont give up on facebook yet....I am also a total newbie and it is actually getting kind of fun! Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to hear that this class gave you some new things to experience. I found it interesting that I felt completely opposite about what I enjoyed most in this class - while I really liked the blogs, I found the reading and discussion boards to be more difficult...but, I guess this just shows how this class caters to everyone and has something for all! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete